Saturday, February 11, 2012

Food. It's what's for dinner (and lunch, and breakfast)

Well, I was going to use this post to talk about the Lantern Festival and other events that have been going on during this past week, but I am instead going to talk about the food in Shanghai, and how it differs from what we Americans consider to be "Chinese food".

This is what I get for trying to write a post on an empty stomach.

On a whole, I have found that Shanghai is a carnivore's paradise. That is not to say that fruits and vegetables are not eaten here, it is just that meats take the forefront in just about every meal I have had.

Pork seems to be the most popular meat here, and most meals have some element of pork in them. For some people in our group, who do not eat meat or pork, there are many other options, mainly chicken or small vegetable dishes. Tofu is also a big thing here, and not all tofu is the gooey squares that we think of. In fact, my roommate gave me tofu from his home town when he moved in. It was covered in some local spices, and I devoured it.

While the restaurants are great for food, I found that the small street vendors have better food in my opinion, especially for the price they are at. Our preferred place is right near campus. We have been calling what the man makes "breakfast burritos;" he makes a small pancake of sorts, smears egg all over it, sprinkles herbs and garlic, then throws on a sauce, parts of what reminds me of egg roll wrapping, then rolls it up. It is a great meal.

Fast food is still evident, and the biggest name in fast food in China is McDonald's, right? WRONG! Actually, that title goes to KFC, and is isn't too difficult to see, as there is one nearly every two blocks or so. Anyway, we went to one during orientation, and I am not really a big fast food fan, especially for breakfast. Needless to say, I was not impressed.

As for weird foods I have eaten so far...I have eaten chicken tongue (which almost seemed like a jerky to me, but I know others did not agree), turtle, and sea urchin, but no dog yet. I have not seen it yet, but I have heard that there are a few restaurants nearby that offer dog on the menu, not trying to hide it in any way. I hope to drop in there, if not to at least give it a shot.

There are times where our idea of Chinese food is similar to what I have been eating, mainly with some soups and chicken dishes. On the whole though, I find that the meals here are more flavorful and interesting than what we have back home.

Now if you will excuse me, I should probably get some food. Wait, what's that? You want a story?

Hmmmm....well, I will relate the story of what happened with my hair cut. I had been saying I wanted to change my style for a little bit. I had already shaved my facial hair of, and I figured a hair cut would go along with it nicely. Varys (my roommate) said he knew of a place right nearby. I decided to go, grabbed my friend Muhdi, and we went to the place. Along the way, I got some advice and explained what I wanted. We walked in, and Varys explained to the hairdresser what I was looking for. I sat, got my hair washed, then sat in the chair. Muhdi is standing behind me. Varys is gone.

I say, "Muhdi, where did Varys go?"
He replies, "Oh don't worry, he said he will be right back."
"Muhdi, WHY DID HE LEAVE?"

He assured me we would be fine. At this point we have the same amount of Chinese knowledge, which is about jack squat. During this, the hairdresser is slowly snipping away around the ears, basically just passing time while we figure things out. We pantomime the idea of what I am looking for, and he seems to understand. Then he pulls out a razor. Oh boy. He pulls a hunk of my hair, and I gesture where I want it to be. He nods, smiles, then buzzes shorter. My eyes got huge, and my jaw dropped. I waited until he finished, then looked at the result:


I'm getting used to it, but I have been getting more attention, and people have been saying I look better.

All right, food now. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I have a few words to comment with.

    FIRST. I read your post AND wrote this comment while it was on my tv.

    SECOND. Your nose looks smaller, and you look less jewish. It was the popular consensus at game night.

    THIRD. You posted this at 11:11. Did you make a wish
    THIRD.

    ReplyDelete