Thursday, February 2, 2012

Making Connections

So I have been in China for all of two days, and I just wanted to make a few little observations, comparing the city to that of other countries and cities I have been to.

Climate-wise, I get a distinct feeling similar to that of London. On a nice day, the city can be utterly amazing, but it is often either freezing (as evidenced by the first night, when my heater decided to become an air conditioner during the night) or cloudy. The smog is not as huge of a factor as people may think, but it does tickle the back of your throat.

The city smells like New York City. If you have been there, you know exactly what I am talking about. If not, maybe it's better that way.

Shanghai is similar to Costa Rica in that there are a lot of stray animals around. After a while, I think they started to follow me. I don't smell like a meal, do I? I also get a bit of a cramped feel from both Shanghai and San Jose, although it felt far more cramped in Costa Rica.

On the whole, Shanghai is a very interesting city; I am amazed how unique the city is, and I have only been to the area around the university at this point. The other members of the program are gelling together very well at this point, and a lot of plans are in the works. Stay tuned for more information as it develops, along with more insights and some information about what I have been up to.

Oh, and before I go, I have to relate this small story. Muhdi, one of the guys in our group, became the first person to hold a Chinese toddler. After all of the oohing and aahing and picture taking, we had to convince him that he wasn't allowed to bring the child home with him. Oh boy, this should be a fun trip...

1 comment: