Thursday, March 15, 2012

What's the Deal with Clubbing? Ohhhh....


So I realized I should probably put a blog post up before we leave for our long weekend tomorrow. After wracking my brain for ideas on what to write for the past week or so, I had to take my mind off it. Luckily for me, some students from Arcadia, my home university, were in Shanghai for spring break. I knew someone who was on this program, so I met up with them a few days ago and brought them to a nightclub.

And it was then that I knew what I could write about.
It was so obvious. What hadn’t I thought of it before?

And so, without further ado, I present: The long weekend trip!

Um, wait. Hold on. This isn't right. That’s next week’s post. Hold on just a second, I know have this week’s topic around here somewhere…

Oh, right. Nightlife. Duh.

I know some people will wonder why I am choosing to write this topic. Well, I figure that a lot of people who read this are either family and friends or people that were recommended to this blog by the Alliance Facebook page (If you are reading this from there, then hello to you!) No matter who is reading this, though, my goal for this blog is to give insights into the culture of Shanghai. At the same time, I know that I should be giving some advice of some kind for people who plan on going to this fine city; since my target audience is people around the same age as me, these people are naturally going to be interested in the nightlife. I am just filling a simple need here. 

Consider it a public service. 
You're welcome.

Anyway, I can say with 100 percent certainty that I am not normally the person to go out to clubs. I normally like spending time in with friends and family, I do not usually go into large crowds of strange people, and I certainly do NOT dance.

Then again, this whole experience is meant to open my eyes to the world, and if people go out to clubs to have a good time, who am I to disagree? So I was going to go to clubs while I was here, but I was still NOT going to dance.

I have been to quite a few clubs already, and I have really enjoyed my time there. I do not know exactly what the club scene is like back in America, but from what I can glean, it is very similar to that of Shanghai. There are two basic crowds in every club I have been to: those people who are there to drink, and those who are there to dance. Everyone falls within a spectrum of those two groups.

One thing that has really stood out to me is the fact that the nightlife in Shanghai tries to cater to as many people as possible. There seems to be a club or bar here that covers every type of person imaginable. If you want a powerful, upper-class style experience, go to Zeal or Muse. For a classy bar experience right on the main river, you have to go to the newly renovated Bar Rouge. For the stereotypical hipster, go to Shelter, which is a bomb shelter converted to a club (insert hipster and underground joke here). For a more relaxed time, Mural is a good choice. And if you are someone who wants to go out and have a good time without destroying your credit rating, I recommend my personal favorite, No. 88 (no cover means good times). I am not going to say that I am a nightclub connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination, but these are just a few I have been to or have heard about. There are still many more clubs to see here, but that is something I do not need to worry about right this moment.

And yes, I have danced. I am really bad.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment